Coat of arms
Earliest known coat of arms of Valmiera has remained from the beginning of the 16th century. It is a lime-tree with two shields with a cross on them hanging from the branches of the tree. During the Swedish rule both shields were removed and the roots of the lime-tree were replaced with a head of an ox, deriving from the emblem of the ruling Oxenstierna family coat of arms. Current coat of arms is a mixture of the two: on a golden background there is a green lime-tree, a red head of an ox and two shields which resemble the flag of Latvia. Current coat of arms was approved in 1925.
The flag of Valmiera was approved on 6 December 1996. It has two colours – autumn golden and cornflower blue. The coat of arms of Valmiera is located in the middle. Those are distinctive colours for the Northern Vidzeme region, symbolizing the blue water of the Gauja River and yellow marsh-marigold fields on its banks. For more than 300 years it was typical scenery for Valmiera. During the reign of the queen Christina, a flag for the purposes of the Valmiera garrison was bought. Under this yellow and blue flag the battalion of Valmiera which was formed by the order of the King Charles XII from the companies of Valmiera, Ēvele, Burtnieki, Valtenberģi and Rūjiena went to war during the Great Northern War (1700–1721). Also during the First Awakening of Latvia several associations within Valmiera chose yellow and blue colours for their flags. Therefore in 1996 the city council suggested to approve the yellow and blue flag as the official flag of Valmiera.